Louis & Mary Beyers with family - courtesy State Library of NSW
The property in Hill End was
purchased by Polish miner Louis Beyers for £4 on 25th May 1865 as
improved crown lands. Land transaction records and the pristine state of
the building in photos taken in 1872 suggest that the cottage was built
in the late 1860s. This working class cottage is a minerís dwelling
relic and a great example of the wattle and daub construction technique.
|back to IN OUR BACKYARD|