ruins of the 1870 Adelong Falls Gold Mill Ruins near Tumut NSW
The Adelong goldfield is one of the earliest reef mining localities in Australia. Payable alluvial gold was discovered in 1852 & reef gold in 1857. It is estimated the Adelong Creek & hillsides yielded over 25 tonnes of reef & alluvial gold with another 26 tonnes further down the creek at Grahamstown.
The Reefer Battery, now known as the Adelong
Falls Gold Mill Ruins, is an integral part of the significant 19th
century Adelong Goldfield mining landscape. The battery started life
upstream from its present location in 1858 & was then re-established
at the Adelong Falls site in 1870 where it worked for a further
Immediately downstream there was a weir, sluice &
race that powered Gibraltar's works. An unknown battery stood
upstream at the mouth of Sawyer's Creek.
|back to IN OUR BACKYARD|